Pattern: Burda Style 7447 Misses Pants
Fabric: Organic Cotton Twill in Cool River
To say I've been trying to make suitable work pants for a while would be an understatement. My first attempt was almost four years ago, when I undertook Vogue 1051. It would have been my first welt pocket, my first fly front, and my first pair of pants. Needless to say, it did not work out.
Fast forward a few years, and I was still desperately in need of a good trouser pant. I had read Sunni's account of making Burda Style 7447, I had seen the pattern reviews, and I had bought both the pattern and the fabric. I was also eager to make a pattern other than the Colette Clover, just to see if it would solve some of my fit issues and give me a fresh perspective. It was time to give this a go.
Taking what I knew from my previous pairs and the reviews I read online, I cut one size down but ended up sewing with 3/8" seam allowances through the legs after basting them together to try on (I think the fit would be perfect in a fabric with a little bit of stretch). I also took almost two inches out of the center back waistband and seat - clearly I am quite pear-shaped. In the end the fit was pretty spot on with just those little changes. Quite amazing!
I think I've really got the zipper thing down, but my first attempt at welt pockets on pants was just so-so. Practice practice practice! Here are some shots of the back. Can't tell if the back is supposed to be this wrinkly to allow movement, or if it needs some more help here...