Pattern: Burda Style 7447 Misses Pants
Fabric: 1 1/2 yd stretch denim
Well, I've finally gone and made myself a proper pair of skinny jeans. Tight through the ankle, slightly scrunchy, and my most-worn silhouette.
The fun part of making jeans is trying to replicate all those "jeansy" details. Thick topstitching, patch pockets, and sturdy seam finishes. I've really been enjoying studying my RTW, and want to eventually figure out a way to share some of the things I've been learning. It's the stuff they don't teach you in the pattern instructions!
So, how did I get on with the fit? I would say better, but still needs some tweaking. I took some of your helpful comments and ended up following this tutorial on fixing forward-tilted hips (swayfront) to remove some of the excess wrinkles. I still need to lower the crotch seam, and possibly re-shape the curve to match my Clovers, which seem to work great there.
I wish I could say that this pattern fit great this second time around, but I ended up having to take 3 inches out of the center back, which required major surgery as I had already attached the waistband. That's the peril when everything you make is really just a wearable muslin, but I'll take it.
The skinny part, however, was fairly easy - I basted them together, then tried them on and pinched out the excess in the leg. I think this works well for jeans that have a slightly scrunched look, but I would need to do a bit more work for a cigarette pant.