Pattern: BurdaStyle's Printed Blouse 08/2012 #109
Fabric: 1 yd mixed fiber gingham
Cost: free from fabric swap
Mine was made up in a couple of evenings using my TNT BurdaStyle 08/2012 #109, which I have modified to have normal armholes and fitted to my body shape. All that was left to do was cut it out and sew it up. It's a loose casual style that slips over my head and isn't too constricting. I have tried this pattern in a ponte before, but it really hangs better in a woven like this. The main fitting feature of this blouse is the French dart, which I think gives it just the right shape without over-fitting.
I also love how the back hangs. Unlike my recent button-front shirt, it hangs without any pooling around the lower back, but is still loose and easy to wear. I have also fixed this issue (hopefully!) in my next button-front shirt, coming to the blog as soon as I attach the buttons.
The one detail I added to this shirt was sleeve slits. It does make the sleeves hang extra wide, but allows for more movement and I think is a cute detail. While the rest of the garment is French-seamed, the slits were made by serging each seam allowance, pressing the seam open, and stitching down the seam allowances around the slit.
The only problem with this top is that I already made Mr. Made a button-front with this same fabric, and he is none too pleased that we might end up some day as accidental twins. Oh well, maybe we will look like this pair. Or we could invite some friends over and have a gingham party. #ginghamlove