Adjusting the Deer and Doe Myosotis

I think I'm just going to sew green things from now on. I have at least two more green projects in the wings. But next up to share with you is another version of the Deer and Doe Myosotis Dress.

Pattern: Deer and Doe Myosotis Dress
Fabric: 2 yds linen
Cost: fabric was a gift from mom :) 

When this pattern first came out I remember someone saying that it looked like an oversized toddler dress. While it is quite loosely cut, I think it's this easy-wearing shape that has made it a popular pattern for sewers. Personally, this is my second version and I find it to be a nice, casual, comfortable dress. 

I sewed this up in a beautiful linen that my mom sent me. The fabric, as with other linen I've sewn this year, is loosely woven and has a bit of give to it. It's perfect for this pattern because it doesn't need to fit tightly and precisely to the body, so a bit of stretching or fabric distortion wasn't much of a problem. 

The main change I made from my previous version was to lengthen the pattern at center front. It seems like everywhere I look these days patterns are riding up in the front. I don't know if it's intentional or not, but to me it just looks like the pattern didn't account for the bust shape and has a distorted waistline. Even the sample photos for this pattern ride up, giving not just the waistline but the skirt a high-low hemline. It's clear in the photos but not in the line drawing, so I assume this is a fit issue and not a design mistake. It looks ill-fitting unless you're actually trying to do a mullet hem!

If you're looking to make a similar adjustment, I started by slashing the front bodice at the lengthen/shorten line and pivoting it to add the required amount (about an inch and a half for me!). It's important to pivot so that you don't lengthen the side seam, just the center front. From there, I redrew the grainline and center front parallel to the hem. I also redrew the legs of the dart to connect the point and ends of the dart indicated on the pattern, as the legs get a little distorted. Finally, I added another button and redrew them so they were evenly spaced. 

I don't have a great photo of how this pattern originally fit me (probably because I like to hide my flaws). But below on the left you can see to some extent how the bodice and skirt on my first version ride up in the front. The right is my adjusted pattern with a more even waistline and hem. Success!

You'll also notice that I lengthened the skirt on my second version to a length that was more comfortable for me. I actually lengthened it a bit too much (five inches) and ended up making the ruffle a bit shorter. I wish I'd keep the original proportions but I'm pretending it's fine.  

Also, look how much my hair has grown over the last year of quarantine! I am also experimenting with cutting more layers and letting it air dry wavy. Now I'm just hoping the weather warms up again so I can wear my dress out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...